Live & Work Here
Kaipara District Council
Kaipara, Where it’s easy to live
Kaipara District Council is our local government body that oversees a large variety of infrastructure and services that make our town a great place to live, visit, and do business.
Kaipara District Council is committed to revitalising Dargaville and developing a vision and strategy to achieve this. As part of this, KDC in consultation with key community stakeholder groups is developing an advisory panel to bring together further specialist skills and experience. The advisory panel will then provide recommendations to the community on growing our local economy. This may include a renewed brand/image for Dargaville around which to frame other developments.
To see a full range of council services and vision for the district, visit their website.
Meet the Councillors:
To meet the Mayor and Councillors, visit the KDC Elected Members page.
Dargaville Council operated facilities:
Kauri Coast Community Swimming Pool
Dargaville War Memorial Hall
State Highways: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)
Environmental Hotline report pollution or marine incidents: 0800 504 639
Northpower report faults, power outages and tree down on lines: 0800 10 40 40
Department of Conservation report dead, injured or straying marine animals: 0800 362 469
New Zealand Relay Service - a relay service for people who are Deaf, Hearing Impaired, Speech Impaired and Deafblind users.
Introducing Kaipara Kōrero, our Council e-newsletter with all the latest news. If you would like to keep up to date with what’s happening, sign up at www.eepurl.com/hemjzz
This is an update on progress of Kaipara Kickstart. If you're not already familiar with the opportunities Kaipara Kickstart is bringing to Kaipara, we've included a summary of what it's about.
Please share this update with your friends and encourage them to subscribe.
The Provincial Growth Fund, NZTA and Kaipara District Council have earmarked $28.98 million (announced on 3/2/19) and a further $740,000 (announced on 31/1/2020) to invest in Kaipara's economic growth and community wellbeing.
Kaipara has untapped potential for growth, with a warm climate, fertile soils, beautiful beaches and easy access to Auckland.
- Kaipara Kickstart offers a unique opportunity to stimulate growth across the region by:Increasing tourism and kai business opportunities
- Increasing employment
- Developing sustainable food practices that restore and protect whenua and moana
- Creating vibrant connected communities
- We will do this by improving our road network for more reliable routes and safer journeys increasing wharf infrastructure to enable communities to connect and enjoy supporting landowners to use their fertile land to its best potential.
Three projects are already underway.
- Improving our road network will increase the speed, comfort and safety of travelling on unsealed roads and make businesses more competitive by reducing the cost of transport.
- Establishing best practice standards and processes for maintaining unsealed roads
- Upgrading priority unsealed roads
- Sealing 10km of Pouto Road (phase 1)
- Upgrading key bridges to 50 tonne capacity
- Sealing 1.5km of Waipoua River Road.
- Criteria for prioritising unsealed roads has been drafted
- Surveying and surface testing has started on Pouto Road phase 1
- Tomarata Bridge upgrade is due for early completion on 13 March.
- Criteria for prioritising unsealed roads to be reviewed and confirmed
- Detailed design of Pouto Road Phase 1, for sealing to start in Spring 2020
- Prepare a business case for sealing Pouto Road phase 2
- Detailed design for sealing Waipoua River Road
- A water-based transport network will connect communities, support and attract residents, businesses and tourists to the Kaipara district.
- Assessing what opportunities a water-based transport network would create for tourism and transport for Kaipara
Plan for phasing key wharf projects around other dependent projects (roads, kai and tourism)
- Building Dargaville pontoon
- Other wharves, as possible
- Assessment of wharves opportunities and priorities is underway
- Engineering assessments of current wharves is underway
- Dargaville pontoon engineering design is completed.
- Complete design of Dargaville pontoon and surrounding area and begin construction
- Seek feedback from community on proposed wharf locations
Will fuel economic growth by identifying opportunities for landowners to draw greater value from their land use.
- Local climate (topo climate), soil and water availability research
- Kaipara Kai hub, a one-stop support base for farmers
- Analysis of market opportunities
- Establishing demonstration sites, which include private water stores
- Activation plan - an approach to realising Kaipara Kai opportunities.
- Draft research report is completed
- Partnered with Northland Inc to establish and operate Kaipara Kai
- Twenty seven high value products with potential in Kaipara have been identified
- Commercial and financial analysis in progress
- Finalise research reports (NIWA report expected mid April)
- Kaipara Kai hub to be opened by Hon. Shane Jones on 6 March in Ruawai.
- Establish demonstration farm sites, including water stores
- Visit stand 646 at Northland Field Days to find out more about opportunities available through Kaipara Kai.