Things To Do
As we come across articles, websites or suggestions for activities to keep the kids and adults entertained during this COVID-19 Lockdown we will update this page. Please feel free to try, adapt, or invent new activities. If you would like to add your ideas to the list of Things To Do, please post them to Dargaville - What's On Facebook Page
ANZAC Day activities:
(click on the underlined name to go through to these websites)
- Make a donation to the ANZAC Day givealittle page
- Learn more about conflicts and the involvement of New Zealanders through a selection of webinars from the Auckland Public Library.
- Look up your relatives who enlisted in the Armed Services at Cenotaph Online. Lay a Virtual Poppy on the Roll of Honour
- Check out the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website
- Create a poppy from found materials around your home and display on your fence or letterbox
- Colour in the poppy from the Kaipara Lifestyler and display it in your window
- Knit or crochet a bunch of poppies from Waiouru Army Museum website
- Join us with StandAtDawn from inside your bubbles, at home, in remembering those who have given their lives in the service of our country this Anzac Day. We will also be sharing soldier stories, poems and activities around Anzac Day.
- Take a photo or a video clip and Tag #StandAtDawn #AnzacDay @RSANational @NZDefenceForce
- Add the Facebook profile frame to your Facebook profile. Either click the button below and search #StandAtDawn or go to your profile on the Facebook app and tap "Edit" on your profile picture. Then tap "Add Frame" and search for #StandAtDawn.
- Bake ANZAC biscuits
- Check out Kids Corner ANZAC Day Activity Sheets
- Make an ANZAC Day Poppy Wreath which you can download for free from twinkl.co.nz
Design Challenge from Bring your own Laptop
Cool Te Reo resources available through Dargaville Library
Free Colouring Pages of the Easter Rabbit or the March Hare
Build Your Best Fort and win $100 grocery hamper
Kids Competition from Sustainable You Facebook page - Prizes of NZ$100 & $150. Share it with friends whos kids might be interested. Closes Sun, 3 May 2020
Story Time - Fox in Sox
Awesome Inc Activities both free and relatively inexpensive - a New Zealand company specialising in gratitude journals and resilience-building programmes are designed to empower kids, teens and adults to elevate your own happiness, so you can become stronger and wiser through the experiences of everyday life.
Pipi Ma - Kia ora e hoa mā! We know its hard entertaining your tamariki in lockdown so we have created simple learning tasks around each of our new episodes that we hope the whānau can do together✨
AMPED - brought to you by Meridian Energy, TV3 and KidsCan
Things to do - Online
- Virtual Tours of Landmarks and Museums - Scroll through to the links to The Great Wall of China, Petra in Jordan, Ankor Wat in Cambodia, Stonehenge, Taj Mahal, The Louvre, New Orleans, Athens Acropolis, and The Vatican.
- Discover Collections at Te Papa
- Connect with Skinny Jump - we have trainers in Dargaville
- Dargaville Library - great ideas from ebooks to zoomfests - also check out their Facebook page.
- Auckland Zoo website - staff are working on "bringing the zoo to you".
- Les Mills Workouts - 800+ WORLD’S BEST WORKOUTS
- More Workouts from TVNZ TVNZ Is Broadcasting Free-to-Air Les Mills Fitness Classes During the Lockdown
- Goodnight Glowing Cube - from Big Life Journal - Want to raise resilient, confident children?
- Art - Vincent Van Gogh Collection - The Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam is offering a virtual visit of its collection
- Where the Wild Things Are - read by Christopher Walken
- Tiny Adventures App An app of simple, fun activities for families
- Reo Puzzles online Welcome to this series of mobile apps designed to introduce te Reo Māori words and phrases to 3-6 year olds and their whānau in a fun and playful way.
- Resilience in Challenging Times A care package for the Sounds True community
- Stay Connected, Stay Safe From Netsafe
- Start your family tree
- Te Reo Singalong Books
- Virtual Tour of France - 9 remarkable French destinations to explore from your armchair
- Auckland Museum at Home Discover loads of activities and puzzles
- Visit Harry Potter at Home - Harry Potter author JK Rowling has launched an online hub for kids, families and fans to enjoy while being stuck at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The United Nations have put together a list of things to do to stay engaged while we are in our bubbles.
Things to do - Indoors
Build a fort using blankets, tables, chairs
Colouring (lots of great free colouring pages available online)
Make a paper chain (rip off one link for each 28 days of lock down? Though could be difficult if lock down ends up going more than 28 days, maybe make the chain until Easter instead?)
Reading to your child
- Your child reading to you- but keep it casual and make it fun
- Flash cards
- Board games
- Treasure hunt
- Write cards to each other or to your neighbours
- Write stories
- Todays Parent Magazine 87 Family Games
- Card Games from Kidspot.com.au
- Kids Baking Recipes - Lots of easy to make treats
- Meet Our Pollinators Activity Sheet - for colouring
Grab the kids and some blankets and lets all settle in for a bit of Bad Jelly the Witch
- Love Crosswords and word puzzles - Check out Lovatt's free online crosswords
Maori Weaving with Veranoa Hetet free online course to help fill your time while you're cocooning in your bubble
Make Puppets - Mopoke printable sheets from Phillip Bunting.com
LIC Kids Corner with things to
- Soup in a bag 7 freezer friendly soups to prepare
- Taste & See Dargaville Cooking Demonstrations
- The Education Hub has tips and tricks for including some schooling during Lockdown
- Learn French at Home with Alliance Française Christchurch - NZ
- Keep a journal of what you do and how you feel - not just for the kids!
Things to do - Outside
- 30 Classic Outdoor Games for Kids from Wired.com
Conservation Activities from doc.govt.nz
Making a hut
Drawing outside with chalk
- Friday Drinks
- Make a Birdhouse with a milk bottle or a Fairy House from pebble, grout and a bottle
Here are 30 activities for adults to take care of themselves. Pick out favourites and try a new one each day.